Visa Information

For most people who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents, a Visitor Visa (also known as a Temporary Resident Visa) is required to enter Canada to attend the conference. This is particularly applicable to people visiting from countries in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America. Check for an overview of which travellers require a visa, and which travellers are eligible for eTA.

Processing times vary by country and in some cases can take several weeks. It is recommended to apply well in advance of your travel dates. You can check Visa requirements, processing times, and detailed steps to apply in Canada's Immigration and Citizenship website:

General information

Invitation Letter

If you require an invitation letter from the conference, please email the local chair at with the following information:

  • your full name
  • your title
  • your institution
  • your address
  • your email
  • if a student, your supervisor(s)
  • the reason why you are attending the conference (e.g., presentation of an accepted paper, including full author detail)


You can complete the application online or on paper. Fees for a Visitor Visa are typically around CAD $100, but prices can vary.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

For some people, an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) may be required instead of a visa. This is generally applicable to visa-exempt foreign nationals who are flying to or transiting through Canada. You can find more information at the eTA website:

The eTA application process is similar to the visa process but is typically simpler and quicker. It requires fewer documents and costs less (CAD $7 per person as of 2023).

As always, it is important to check the specific requirements for your country of residence before you start the visa application process.

Please remember to verify this information with the official Government of Canada website or a reliable immigration consultant, as visa policies and procedures are subject to change.